Readily available “off the shelf” in 6 beautiful colors, as well as a transparent Cedar Tone or treated with Beaching Oil, or in any custom color desired, our pre-stained Western Red Cedar Shingles can add a stunning signature look to any building, combined with lasting durability. Made from high-quality Western Red Cedar, renowned for even grain, weather resistance, thermal insulation and longevity, our pre-stained or pre-primed shingles are also available in natural, sanded and grooved finishes, as well as fancy cuts.
- Stock Semi-Solid Oil Stain Colors
- Water Lily
- Coastal Mist
- Iron Stone
- Traditional Brick
- Beach Pebble
- Thisis Brown
- Red Cedar Transparent Stain available with a 5 year warranty
- Bleached Shingles are a mix of 50/50 Bleaching Oil and Cabot Driftwood Grey Stain
- Custom pre-stained shingles are available using a quality brand of oil-based semi-transparent, semi-solid or solid one coat finishes, including General Paint Products. Custom colors available.
- Pre-stain and pre-prime (in grey or white) is available for natural, grooved, sanded and fancy cut shingles
- #1-16”, 18” & 24” Rebutted & Rejointed (R&R) Shingles, 100% vertical grain, 100% heartwood
- #2-16”, 18” & 24” Rebutted & Rejointed Shingles
Installation and Care
Western Red Cedar sidewall shingles owe their beauty, color, durability and resistance to decay and insects to the presence of natural tannins produced during normal growth. These natural extractives in Western Red Cedar are water-soluble and may lead to discoloration of finishes on the exposed surface of the shingle. Discoloration from extractives usually appears when moisture from inside the home travels through the shingle to the exposed surface. As the moisture evaporates it may leave reddish-brown vertical streaks. This discoloration is not caused by the stain, the paint or any manufacturing process.
The sidewall product should always be stored in a dry, well-ventilated location. You must keep the sidewall product dry throughout the application process. You also must take steps to minimize or eliminate interior sources of moisture before and after sidewall shingle application including, but not limited to the following:
- Maintain low interior humidity levels (this is the most common source of extractive discoloration)
- Ensure proper ventilation during drywall installation, texture spraying, painting or any other process which increases humidity inside the building. It is more likely that extractive bleeding will occur if these processes are not completed prior to application of the sidewall product
- Apply over dry panels (OSB or plywood)
- Use kiln dried studs
To minimize the potential for extractive discoloration, our supplier ensures that the shingles are dried to a moisture content that is less than 15%. They also coat the entire shingle with a primer, paint or stain. Shingles coated with an oil base solid primer that have a finished coat applied over the primer are less likely to experience extractive discoloration. Semi-solid, semi-transparent, and clear stains offer less protection.
Extractive discoloration may also be caused by external sources such as rain, dew and water from faulty roof and gutter drainage. These sources combined with dust and other matter may cause stains on the exposed area of the shingle, which is not the failure of the shingle, paint or stain.
Stain absorption may vary due to the density and/or porosity of old growth Western Red Cedar fiber. The final color and how it adheres/absorbs into the material will vary. Due to this, color matches are not guaranteed to exactly match any previous sample or order and a field coat following installation is required.
In some cases, certain coatings are “1 coat only” applications. However, a second field coating is recommended after the stain has cured for best stain performance. Prior to any field coating, test a small inconspicuous area for proper absorption. Back brushing is recommended and do not over apply.
Limited Warranties on coating/finishes are offered through the coating/finish manufacturer.
Before your next project, be sure to visit us!
950 B Fountain Street, Burlington, WA 98233
Toll Free Phone (866) 757.6343 Fax (360) 757.6343